Sunday 21 December 2014

Top 10 Childhood Christmas Movies/Specials

All the Christmas films that I remember the most from my childhood. Not ranked by quality, rather by how big an influence they had on me as a child, or how much I enjoyed them.

10. Jingle all the Way



Not much to say here. I loved it as a kid, I am aware that it is actually quite bad. I do still have a large soft spot for this one.

9. Mickey's Christmas Carol

Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983) Poster

A fairly poignant and faithful retelling of the classic story. Honestly quite an underrated version of 'A Christmas Carol', my introduction to the story, and a good introduction for kids in general. Also it's Scrooge McDuck as Scrooge, it makes itself.

8. Die Hard



Die Hard is an action classic. Perhaps the best action film of the entire 1980's (the golden age of the genre). Is it really a Christmas movie? Well it's my list so I say it is.

7. Elf



A pretty funny movie in general. Will Ferrel is probably at his funniest here. Again, hardly a great film, but the scene with Peter Dinklage still cracks me up.

6. It's a Wonderful Life



By far the best film on the list, and a contender for being the greatest Christmas film of all time. I genuinely adore this film, and as a child it introduced me to the wonder that is James Stewert. The only reason this is not higher, is that I was a little older when I first watched this (I was around 11 or 12), so it's actual impact on me as a child was quite low.

5. The Santa Clause



I watched this film more than any other Christmas film as a child, probably every year from ages 4-5 on-wards. However, once a again, it is quite mediocre when watched through more mature eyes. Still a large source of nostalgia though.

4. Blackadder's Christmas Carol



I adore Blackadder, one of my favourite TV shows of all time. This special is an excellent showcase of both the show's excellence, and the power of a Chritsmas Carol. One of the best subversions of the classic tale ever. Absolutely hilarious.

3. Home Alone



It's Home Alone, what is there to say? It is the perfect Christmas comedy, and continues to be a favourite of mine to this day in termsof festive films.

2. Gremlins

Gremlins Movie Poster

I love Gremlins, and always have. One of my favourite films of the entire 1980's, and (along with 'It's a Wonderful Life') probably the best film on this list. A dark, funny, heartwarming and generally perfect movie. However, it doesn't take number 1 here.

 1. A Muppets Christmas Carol



I adore this movie. It is a tradition of mine to watch this film every year, because it epitomises the season so perfectly for me. Caine is great, the puppetry is outstanding as usual and it is a pretty faithful and very loyal adaptation of the tale. This film was my far the most important Christas film of my childhood.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film List

No comments:

Post a Comment