Wednesday 10 December 2014

The Top 40 Directors I have little/no experience with. (30-26)

30. Joon-ho Bong



The first director from Korea on this list. With a handful of highly intriguing and varied films under his belt, including a recent foray into non-Korean cinema (Snowpiecer 2013), this relatively new face is bursting with promise.

29. Oliver Stone



This director is also slightly lower on the list due to the fact that I do have some experience with him, namely Scarface (1983), which he did not direct, but did write. Based on that, and his highly illustrious and acclaimed filmography, I have a great interest in this filmmaker.

28. Micheal Haneke

[like_weird_funny_not_ha_ha_funny.jpg]

I have very little clue where to start with this guy. I've chosen Funny Games (1997) however this Haneke's filmography is so odd and varied, that I have almost no clue to begin. However I would have to say, that although his films are quite alienating on the surface, I hear nothing but wonderful things about them.

27. Satyajit Ray



The only Indian filmmaker here, and a renown pioneer of not only India cinema, but emotive cinema on the whole. The only reason this guy is not higher, is a slight lack of knowledge on my part.

26. Jane Campion



There is a sad lack of female directors in the world of cinema. Jane Campion is one of the few have managed to carve out an acclaimed career for herself. I greatly anticipate viewing The Piano (1992), I have heard nothing but glowing praise for the visual style of Campion's films.

Part 3 of 8
By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film List

No comments:

Post a Comment