Saturday 13 December 2014

The Top 40 Directors I have little/no experience with. (5-1)

The Final Part.

5. Charlie Chaplin





It is inexcusable that I have not ever seen a Chaplin film. I am a great lover of silent film, and classic comedy (Abbot and Costello, in particular), and yet I have not ever seen a Chaplin picture. How is this possible? I assure you that I will track down City Lights (1931) as swiftly as possible.

4. Andrei Tarkovsky



The man that Ingmar Bergman called, 'the greatest filmmaker of all time'. Very high praise indeed, and with a wealth of absurdly fascinating films I will certainly have to put that claim to the test one day. Oh, and some of the long-shots I've heard are remarkable.

3. Micheal Powell



Martin Scorsese's near obssesion with The Red Shoes (1948) has definatly got me intrigued. However Micheal Powell is often cited as one of the most technically influential,and dynamic directors of his time. I do own the Red Shoes on Blu-Ray, and yet I still have not seen it. That is probably heresy.

2. Ingmar Bergman



I have no excuses. This filmmaker is often cited as one of, if not the, greatest titans of world cinema. And yet I have not seen a single film of his. Sorry.

1. Terrence Malick



Possibly the most polarising director working today, my #1 is a man who is either despised or adored. Not only does the controversy and total split of the cinephile community in regards to this director intrigue me, but regardless of how I feel about his movies one thing is guaranteed. They will look stunning. Also I am really interested in Badlands (1973), It looks really interesting.

Part 8 of 8
By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film List

No comments:

Post a Comment