Sunday 14 December 2014

Enter the Void (2010)

25 FPS of beautiful and acid filled wonder.
Perhaps one of the most daring films 
I have ever seen.











Hot of the heels of my top 40 unseen directors list, I have finally begun to work myself through said list. I decided to begin with 'Enter the Void', and I am still scoping my brain and eyes from the floor. Gasper Noe's magnum opus, fifteen years in conception,  is a visual masterpiece. Probably the best onscreen depiction of death, acid, and sexuality all at once.

I most give a warning before I continue however, this film is a risk to all people with epilepsy out there, it may seriously kill you. These seizure inducing, yet stunning visuals are the most striking element of the film, however they are not the only aspect of the film which deserve high praise. The film is also a storytelling triumph, creating a huge cast of likable and interesting characters. Even more impressive is the world the film portrays, Tokyo is alive, more of a character than anyone onscreen. In crafting these relatable and complex story elements, the film proves to be more than simply a visual spectacle. The largely improvised dialogue is very naturalistic, and the actors really etch out some very defined performances.  Particularly Paz de la Huerta, in the films most prominent acting role. I have high hopes for her in future projects.

Regardless, it the visuals are indeed king here. This film has a shot, which I'm sure lasted for sixteen minutes. That is insane, absolutely nuts. Perhaps there was a hidden cut or two in there, but I couldn't spot them, and I was searching for one. This absurd cinematography, along with the perfect color palette, makes this perhaps one of the most beautiful films of the decade thus far. It is a drugged up and psychedelic labyrinth of neon and shadow. It really has to be seen to be understood. Truly stunning.

The films themes of family, sexuality and death are all beautifully presented through visual means. Noe claims the film was inspired by a viewing of 2001: A Space Odyssey he witnessed while on drugs, and that is the perfect way to describe the film. It is Kubrick on acid,  2001 through the lens of a dying junkie. Its theming, visuals and story all scream Kubrick, but the scream is used to tell the story of a dead drug dealer in Tokyo. It is one of the most fully formed concepts I have seen in a recent film.

This film is 25 FPS (rather than the more common 24, Noe wanted to further alienate the audience) of perfection. An international celebration of all things insane in filmmaking.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film Review.



No comments:

Post a Comment