Saturday 13 December 2014

The Top 40 Directors I have little/no experience with. MEGACUT

In order to showcase my own ignorance, and to celebrate the vast number of wonderful and diverse filmmakers in the world, here is a list of the directors who I have almost no first-hand experience with. Ranked based on my desire to experience their work and my embarrassment at lacking this experience. In addition I have included the poster to the film from each of these directors I intend on starting with.


40. Michael Mann



Heat Movie Poster


Micheal Mann is at the bottom of this list mainly due to the fact that I have seen one of his films (Manhunter 1986). However I did highly enjoy Manhunter and have heard great things about some of his other works, I will get to Heat someday I swear.


39. Kar Wai Wong


The Grandmaster (2013) Poster


Mainly this low do to the fact that I have very little information on this filmmaker. However I do wish to dip into more Hong-Kong cinema, and The Grandmaster looks very interesting to me.

38. Jean Cocteau


La Belle et la BĂȘte (1946) Poster


Very interested in La Belle et la Bete, and early surrealist cinema. Also fascinated by the works of France's supposedly definitive post-war filmmaker.

37. Sergio Leone

Sergio Leone


Once again low o the list because I have seen one of his films already (The Good, the Bad and the ugly 1966). However I need to experience more of this wonderful filmmakers epic filmography.


36. Takashi Miike



The unpronounceably named mad genius of current Japanese cinema. His lust for violence and breaking taboos fascinates me greatly, especially the film that made him a cult icon. Audition.

35. Jean-Pierre Jeunet



I will be honest, I have been told to watch Amelie so often that it has had the opposite effect. I have become less interested in seeing it. However I am sure I will love it when I see it, I am just less enthusiastic than I probably should be, That is why, this acclaimed master filmmaker is fairly low on the list.

34. Steve McQueen



This director is fairly low on the list, mainly because he is a relative newcomer. He has also only made three films to date, few when compared to some of the other directors on the list. However I am very fascinated by all three of them, and I am sure he will go on to have a great career in the future.

33. Sam Peckinpah



One of the men who helped to usher in the Hollywood new-wave. His movie Straw Dogs certainly looks like an emotional roller coaster in particular.

32. Roman Polanski



Perhaps one of the most acclaimed and diverse filmmakers of the last fifty years. Despite this however, I have seen one of his films already (Chinatown, 1974) and therefore I have decided to place him on the lower side of the list despite his massive filmmaking weight.

31. Steven Soderbergh



One of the kings of recent American independent cinema. Highly influential and with some very interesting films under his belt, defiantly interested in checking out.

30. Joon-ho Bong



The first director from Korea on this list. With a handful of highly intriguing and varied films under his belt, including a recent foray into non-Korean cinema (Snowpiecer 2013), this relatively new face is bursting with promise.

29. Oliver Stone



This director is also slightly lower on the list due to the fact that I do have some experience with him, namely Scarface (1983), which he did not direct, but did write. Based on that, and his highly illustrious and acclaimed filmography, I have a great interest in this filmmaker.

28. Micheal Haneke

[like_weird_funny_not_ha_ha_funny.jpg]

I have very little clue where to start with this guy. I've chosen Funny Games (1997) however this Haneke's filmography is so odd and varied, that I have almost no clue to begin. However I would have to say, that although his films are quite alienating on the surface, I hear nothing but wonderful things about them.

27. Satyajit Ray



The only Indian filmmaker here, and a renown pioneer of not only India cinema, but emotive cinema on the whole. The only reason this guy is not higher, is a slight lack of knowledge on my part.

26. Jane Campion



There is a sad lack of female directors in the world of cinema. Jane Campion is one of the few have managed to carve out an acclaimed career for herself. I greatly anticipate viewing The Piano (1992), I have heard nothing but glowing praise for the visual style of Campion's films.

25. Krzysztof Kieslowski



I have heard that the three-colours trilogy is fantastic in every way. I am sure it is, I have high expectations. Not much more to say.

24. Jean-Luc Goddard

 

The crazy and radical wonderboy of the French New-Wave, an era which I have little experience with in general. A highly influential auteur with a long and adored filmography, quite intriguing.

23. Takeshi Kitano

 

A multi-talented and erratic mad genius. This is perhaps the director I am most surprised that I have not experienced before this point. I desperately want to step into this man's odd and undoubtedly brilliant mind. However, I have seen Battle Royale (2000) in which he plays a prominent acting role, so he is not a high as he could have been, as I do have some first-hand experience with this filmmaker.

22. Kathryn Bigelow



A highly significant director, if not only for being the first Woman to direct a Best-Picture winning movie, Hurt Locker (2009 [seriously? It took over 80 years? That is very worrying]). Her career is not only historically significant, but long and varied. I am certainly looking forward to seeing a horror/comedy/western.

21. Billy Wilder



The final director on this list whom I have already seen a movie from. Namely Some Like it Hot (1959). However despite this, Billy Wilder is perhaps the definitive icon of 'Old Hollywood' and perhaps the most acclaimed and revered American filmmaker of the time. Despite my past experience, I am hungry for more.

This where the list gets really good.

20. Kim Jee-Woon

I Saw the Devil (2010) Poster

With a vast and acclaimed filmography, this guy is one of the most predominant rising stars in modern Asian cinema. Or so I am told at least. So many films from this guy that I need to see.

19. Gasper Noe



This filmmaker is perhaps one of the most daring working today. Although Irreversible is the film that people keep talking about (10 minute rape scene), it is the acid trip that has me fascinated. Very fascinating stuff.

18. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu



The filmmaker with the most recent film on this list. However aside from the highly acclaimed Birdman (2014), he posses a very interesting filmography. Sadly the only South American director on this list, a shame.

17. David Cronenberg

A History of Violence (2005) Poster

The king of body horror, and a mad genius of American independent cinema. One of the most prolific directors on this list, so I have a lot to get to.

16. John Ford



Here we have a grandmaster of classic cinema, and the progenitor of so many careers and film making techniques. I desperately need to see The Searchers (1956), not want, need.

15. Yasujiro Ozu



Whilst Kurosawa looked to the West for his inspiration, Ozu is considered to be the definitive great Japanese director. An emotive master and pioneer in emotive realism. I am determined to track this directors work sometime.

14. David Lynch



Perhaps the face of surrealism for most western audiences. We're now getting to the directors who I'm honestly embarrassed to have not experienced more of, I need to consume this guy's filmography as soon as possible.

13. Lars Von Trier



This guy is probably a little nuts, and he is known to say and do some really stupid things. However, he is also a very distinct and highly influential director. I'm certainly one to enjoy some controversial and schizophrenic movies.

12. Terry Gilliam



This director should be in the top ten, possibly even the top five. However I am a fan of Monty Python, so I do have a little experience with this guy already. Brazil, Twelve Monkeys Fear and Loathing, need I say more? I need to see these films, or my credibility is in eternal doubt.

11. Francois Truffaut

 

I also considered this director for the top ten, however a slight lack of knowledge on my part excluded him. One of the most subtly influential directors of all time, molding dozens of great directors (including some on this list) in his wake.

The top ten is here.

10. Jim Jarmusch 



One of the most important filmmakers in American independent film, ever. With a long and illustrious career, I only surprised that I haven't gotten around to seeing this guy's work before now.

9. Werner Herzog



One of Rodger Eberts favorite filmmakers, and perhaps the most beloved documentarian of all time. With a career spanning five decades, I have a lot to get through with this one. However I have heard nothing but sparkling praise about this melancholic director.

8. Fredrico Fellini



Il Maestro himself. With a record winning run of films, the most to ever win best foreign language film, and a unique blend of realism and surrealism, I am beyond enthused to witness one of history's most beloved filmmakers in action. Also, 8 1/2 seems like exactly the kind of film which may become a personal favourite.

7. Richard Linklater



I have a friend who insists the 'Before' trilogy will change my life. I am inclined to belive him on such matters. In addition, Boyhood (2014) has already been lauded as one of the greatest filmmaking achievements of the century. How can I not be curious?

6. Woody Allen



Possibly the most prolific director on this entire list, it is shocking that I have never found time to watch Annie Hall (1977). What can I say? It's Woody Allen, an all time legend of comedy and drama in American cinema.

5. Charlie Chaplin





It is inexcusable that I have not ever seen a Chaplin film. I am a great lover of silent film, and classic comedy (Abbot and Costello, in particular), and yet I have not ever seen a Chaplin picture. How is this possible? I assure you that I will track down City Lights (1931) as swiftly as possible.

4. Andrei Tarkovsky



The man that Ingmar Bergman called, 'the greatest filmmaker of all time'. Very high praise indeed, and with a wealth of absurdly fascinating films I will certainly have to put that claim to the test one day. Oh, and some of the long-shots I've heard are remarkable.

3. Micheal Powell



Martin Scorsese's near obssesion with The Red Shoes (1948) has definatly got me intrigued. However Micheal Powell is often cited as one of the most technically influential,and dynamic directors of his time. I do own the Red Shoes on Blu-Ray, and yet I still have not seen it. That is probably heresy.

2. Ingmar Bergman



I have no excuses. This filmmaker is often cited as one of, if not the, greatest titans of world cinema. And yet I have not seen a single film of his. Sorry.

1. Terrence Malick



Possibly the most polarising director working today, my #1 is a man who is either despised or adored. Not only does the controversy and total split of the cinephile community in regards to this director intrigue me, but regardless of how I feel about his movies one thing is guaranteed. They will look stunning. Also I am really interested in Badlands (1973), It looks really interesting.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film List

No comments:

Post a Comment