Friday 12 December 2014

The Top 40 Directors I have little/no experience with. (15-11)

15. Yasujiro Ozu



Whilst Kurosawa looked to the West for his inspiration, Ozu is considered to be the definitive great Japanese director. An emotive master and pioneer in emotive realism. I am determined to track this directors work sometime.

14. David Lynch



Perhaps the face of surrealism for most western audiences. We're now getting to the directors who I'm honestly embarrassed to have not experienced more of, I need to consume this guy's filmography as soon as possible.

13. Lars Von Trier



This guy is probably a little nuts, and he is known to say and do some really stupid things. However, he is also a very distinct and highly influential director. I'm certainly one to enjoy some controversial and schizophrenic movies.

12. Terry Gilliam



This director should be in the top ten, possibly even the top five. However I am a fan of Monty Python, so I do have a little experience with this guy already. Brazil, Twelve Monkeys Fear and Loathing, need I say more? I need to see these films, or my credibility is in eternal doubt.

11. Francois Truffaut

 

I also considered this director for the top ten, however a slight lack of knowledge on my part excluded him. One of the most subtly influential directors of all time, molding dozens of great directors (including some on this list) in his wake.

Part 6 of 8
By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film List

No comments:

Post a Comment