Monday 9 February 2015

Ohayo [Short Film] (2008)

A final encore from perhaps the most tragically 
short-lived auteurs of the last 50 years. Goodbye Kon.

Yet another review of a film less than five minutes long. I'm actually enjoying reviewing film in this brief format because they allow more abstract thinking around the film itself rather than simply covering the same points in every single review (something I aim to outgrow when I become a less mediocre writer).

Moving past that, Satoshi Kon.

A master. 

I know consider Tokyo Godfathers one of my all-time favourite films, and I simply cannot wait to see Perfect Blue and especially Paprika. So I consider myself a fairly big fan of the director, if a neophyte when it comes to his work. Ohayo is effectively a final goodbye from the man before his untimely passing. 

The film can essentially be viewed as a tiny microcosm for his entire filmmaking identity, or at least as I know it. Surrealist, based around a simple yet curiously unexplored subject, focused upon femininity and above all else, beautiful. Despite being so short, there is something achingly sweet about it. I got a similar vibe from Black Breakfast, so perhaps there is something inherently smile inducing about getting an entire cinematic experience in the time it takes to eat a sandwich, yet being left with a vision that'll stick with you for the rest of the day.

Watch Ohayo on Youtube for free. Do it to honor the final work of a great man and to enjoy a wonderfully supple slice of animated beauty.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film Review

No comments:

Post a Comment