Monday 23 February 2015

My Opinion of the Oscars 2015: Best Visual Effects/Best Costume Design

Over the course of the next week I will voice my opinion on the Oscar winners and nominations in each individual category. This is just a small piece of bonus content to supplement the blog. I am avoiding all categories which I have no reasonable opinion on, these are basically the Documentary, Short, and Animated categories. (If I catch up on the films within these sections, I may cover them at a later date). Disclaimer, I have not seen every film which won or was nominated for awards and so this is very much an incomplete opinion.

Visual Effects:


For the most part I felt the nominations were fine. I find it somewhat odd that Godzilla did not receive a nomination, particularly because the effects were the best part of that mediocre film. On an artier note I will make it clear that I firmly believe that Under the Skin deserved a nomination in this (and several other) categories, to the point where I feel it probably should have won the award. However, the Academy would never support a film so far from convention (their happy place) and so I am not surprised over the snub. Interstellar was pretty much the obvious choice from the start, and I doubt anybody is surprised that it won the award.


Costume Design:

Again a fairly solid lineup. Belle and Selma seem to glaring omissions in this category and their absence contributes to the uncomfortable 'whiteness' of this years awards lineup. Maleficent is a truly hideous film with an atrocious aesthetic, so I do not feel it deserved the nod, however the choices were solid overall. I adore The Grand Budapest Hotel and it's visual style, to the point where I'd call it possibly the best looking film of the year. Therefore I am quite happy with it's victory and have no more real complaints as far as this category is concerned.

By Jack D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment