Tuesday 24 February 2015

My Opinion of the Oscars 2015: Best Makeup and Hairstyling/Best Production Design

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:

There were shockingly only three nominations for this category. I am not sure if this shows integrity on the Academy's behalf, by not forcing in film's it does not consider worthy just for the sake of filling up the category, or shows that the Academy is perhaps moving towards disbanding the category. I honestly would not be surprised if they merged makeup with costume design at some point in the future. Despite the limited nominations however, the category seemed fine. Belle again seemed to be an odd omission, however that is a minor gripe. Although I probably would have preferred the excellent makeup of Foxcatcher to win overall, The Grand Budapest Hotel was still a fine choice.

Best Production Design:

The art of production design is something I hold very close to my heart. Therefore it pains me to say that this probably the most underwhelming category thus far. Gone Girl, Big Eyes, The Babadook and Birdman were all films with very admirable production design that all should have received some form of recognition. From the screenshots and trailers I have seen for the film, Enter the Woods seemed fairly unappealing in it's production design and seemed to suffer from too much CGI. Once again, The Grand Budapest Hotel was a very worthy winner and probably my choice also, however I noticed some grave oversights in this category

By Jack D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment