Tuesday 17 February 2015

15 More Directors I have little/no experience with (10-6)

10. Andrey Zvyagintsev



Some have referred to this director as the most influential Russian filmmaker since Andrei Tarkovsky. Tarkovsky himself is a director who I also need more experience with than this one, and he probably remains my priority in terms of Russian cinema. However this apparent master of humanist cinema, with a handful of outlandishly praised films under his belt, is certainly fascinating in his own right.

9. Abbas Kiarostami



The multi-lingual, multi-national filmmaker has been steadily growing in influence since the 90's. At this point he stands as one of the most influential men in all world cinema. I have little else to say, other than this filmmaker practically seems like required viewing at this stage.

8. Peter Greenaway



Peter Greenaway, one of the most enduring names in British independent cinema. By taking inspiration from baroque art and Jacobean tragedies, Greenaway has forged one of the most unique cinematic identities out there. So, I certainly have high expectations for his actual work, because he has been so interesting to read about.

7. Pedro Almodovar



What do I even say about this filmmaker? Almodovar is considered by many to be one of the definitive idols of current world cinema. He is known for his boundary pushing concepts and his peerless raw delivery. These are all qualities that I highly admire within directors and I am once again surprised that I have not come across his work before now.


6. Buster Keaton



If you saw my previous list you will remember that silent film legend Charlie Chaplin featured near the top of the list. My lack of experience with the only other silent comedy legend on par with Chaplin, leads me to conclude that I need more silent comedy in my life. Once again, I have The Story of Film to blame for my increased interest in this filmmaker, particularly his magnum opus The General.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film List
Part 2 of 3

No comments:

Post a Comment