Thursday 8 January 2015

Why do I love cinema so much?

I feel that when somebody devotes themselves to an art form or a particular lifestyle there is a level of expected curiosity as to why that devotion exists. Today I am going to write this little post to roughly explain why I feel compelled to admire film so much, and why it is the area I want to devote my life to.

Film is something I gravitated towards during a fairly difficult time in my life, this was due to many online, film related, personalities and critics who I enjoyed watching even prior to becoming a big film fan. These included The Nostalgia Critic, Bad Movie Beatdown, The Cinema Snob and PMRants. Ironically, at this time (roughly 2 years on) I no longer have a regular interest in any of these personalities (except the Cinema Snob), however I am forever grateful towards them for helping to introduce me to something that I love so much. From this small interest, basically limited to watching movies that were recommended by these personalities, I discovered many films which remain among my favourites to this day. From this, I began to develop a greater independent interest in the films I was watching, tracking films down based on my own interests rather than simple recommendations This branched out further and lead to me discovering some more obscure and less mainstream films, leading me to discover Oldboy, the film which to this day remains my favourite of all time (NOT the remake, the fact that exists disgusts me).  From that point on I was hooked, and my love has only snowballed since.

That is how I got into film, however not why I am certain that this is how I want to spend my life. I have two very dear friends of mine who also love film, and I have grown closer to these two than possibly any other friends in my entire life. The fact that I somehow managed to meet these two wonderful people in my shitty little 'Film Studies' class in college proves to me that there must be thousands of people like this out there in the world to meet. I want to meet these people, I want to work with them, and I want to continue working with the friends I already have.

In addition, I am probably happier at this point than I have been in my entire life. I am not whining about how much things sucked before, quite the contrary. I am shocked by how good things are in my life right now. I now know that I live in a world that allowed Birdman to be made, how can I not be happy?

Overall, I'm sorry for the excessively self indulgent rant about my love for cinema and why it means so much to me. I am glad that there are people out there willing to read my amateurish ramblings and I hope you will continue to read my stuff into 2015.

By Jack D. Phillips

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment