Wednesday 14 January 2015

The Top 25 Films about Insanity (10-8) (Part 6)

Top Ten ahoy!

10. Misery (1990)



This is another fairly predictable entry. Kathy Bates delivers one of the most terrifying performances I have ever seen in this Stephen King based thriller by Rob Reiner. James Caan represents sanity in a tense and thoroughly battle  of wits against an insane fan. The film investigates the vices of fame and the misfortunes faced when attempting to break out of a creative rut. Caan's issues begin when the character Annie Wilkes, played by Bates, discovers that he is ending his commercially successful series of novels in place of a more personal and bespoke book. This turns the film into an effective allegory for the battle within an artist between commercial success and artistic integrity. The fact that Wilkes represents the commercial desires speak volumes for the stance the film takes.
This film uses insanity to do many things and speaks to me quite profoundly. Bates is terrifying, representing so many of the ills which represent the mind of an artist and the trials they must face. It may seem to be one of the less subtle entries on this list at first, however I beg you to look at it a bit closer when you next view this classic of 90's thrillers.

9. The King of Comedy (1983)

 

Is this Scorsese's most underrated film? Probably (I still have a few of his films to see so I can't say for certain). In this hidden gem, Scorsese and De Niro offer one of their most poignant and effective  character studies, and one of the most poignant I think I have ever seen.Rupert Pupkin does not scare me, as so many insane characters on this list do. He worries me, because any person with aspirations can see themselves falling into a trap like this. Pupkin is among the most well portrayed and pathetic wrecks I have ever seen, and I see parts of myself in him. The creepy personal parallels aside, this film perfectly portrays the self-destructive nature of obsession without boundaries. Pupkin shows what happens when the American dream fails to deliver, and he is both amusing and harrowing to behold. I adore this film, and hope that all of you go to see what I consider to be De Niro's most immersive performance of all time. 

8. Lord of the Flies (1963)



I feel that this entry owes itself least to a description within the top ten. Most of what makes this film great can also be found within the novella of the same name. However, I would say that the reason I love this film is in how it so effectively brings the imagery of the book to life in cinematic way. It is not a simple dramtisation of the book, and if the book did not exist this would retain this place on the list all the same. This story remains one of the most effective observations on our innate brutality and animalistic insanity ever created, in either form. Personally, I prefer this film version as I find it better paced and more subtle than the novel (which I have read), however it is fair to say that either is worth a watch or read respectively. 

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film List

No comments:

Post a Comment