Sunday 11 January 2015

The Top 25 Films about Insanity (19-17) (Part 3)

19. The Conversation (1973)



I nearly didn't include this film at all, as much like Le Diabolique this film covers paranoia over insanity on the whole. However, the ending is enough for me to include this, along with the subtly surreal and eerie dream sequence. This film is the equivalent of a delicious entree, it left me desperate to learn more about the the fascinating psych of Harry Caul and after watching I found myself attempting to dissect his mind without even noticing. Certainly one of the most interesting main characters I can recall seeing, and his ultimate descent into madness is harrowing to behold. 

18. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)



The well known story about the duality of man, lovingly brought to life on the screen. Fredrich March is outstanding and captures the essence of a man who's psych is falling into the abyss of his dark half. Not much to say, other than a wonderful portrayal of one of the most famous stories on this topic.

17. Shutter Island (2010)



A film which creates one of the more ambitious cinematic lies I have ever seen. The illusion that this film creates is impressive to behold, and in a rare turn Di Capreo is actually emotive enough to sell the twist of this film. I actually believed what I saw from him and was sucked into the twisted and sinister tone of this top-tier thriller. A great twist supported by a wonderful and foreboding atmosphere.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film List

No comments:

Post a Comment