Monday 9 March 2015

My Opinion of the Oscars 2015: Best Actor/Actress

Best Actor:

This category is one which I have a great number of grievances with, possibly more than any other. David Oyelowo, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ralph Fiennes  all should have received acknowledgment in my opinion, in fact I would have been happy to see Oyelowo win the accolade. As for the actors actually nominated, I have seen the performances of both Micheal Keaton and Eddie Redmayne and both were truly quite epic. Personally, I would have preferred Micheal Keaton to win the award for his exceptional and deeply complex performance in Birdman, however Redmayne is a worthy if safe choice.

Best Actress:

The fact that Julianne Moore has not won this award before is mystifying, as she is one of the best actresses to have emerged in the last thirty years. I have not seen  Still Alice at the time of this writing, however merely on her previous work alone she is deserving of the award. Despite this however, it is sad that Rosamund Pike did not win for Gone Girl, a possible contender for my favourite performance of the entire year. Furthermore the fact that Essie Davies recieved no nomination for The Babadook is saddening and speaks to the frustratingly conservative nature of the Academy over the last several years.

By Jack D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment