Tuesday 10 March 2015

My Opinion of the Oscars 2015: Best Cinematography/Best Picture

Best Cinematography

I think it safe to say that Birdman is the obvious winner in this category. It totally deserves this prestigious (giggle, the Academy has no prestige) award and is one of the most ambitiously shot films of the last few years. Aside from the winner, I can attest to the beautiful cinematography in The Grand Budapest Hotel and am very interested in both Ida and Mr Turner, which both seem to have a lot of personality within their cinematography. I am somewhat annoyed that neither Gone Girl or Nightcrawler received any recognition, however it was ignored in almost every other category.

Best Picture

The biggest controversy concerning the largest accolade of the ceremony centers around Birdman winning over Boyhood. As I have not seen Boyhood  (although I dearly want to) and so I cannot way into this debate, however I would like to say that the bickering seems quiet childish to me. Aside from that this category was missing several of the year's best film's in my eyes, including Gone Girl, The Babadook and Nightcrawler, however none of these films fit within  the Academy's irritating tunnel vision when it comes to the art-form it claims to represent. I adore Birdman and so I am very happy that it won the award, and even if I liked Boyhood more it would remain a worthy victor in my eyes.

By Jack D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment