Wednesday 4 March 2015

My Opinion of the Oscars 2015: Best Original Screenplay/Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Original Screenplay:

This category is notable for being the only category in which the excellent Nightcrawler was nominated. This film should have received far more attention, particularly for Jake Gyllenhaal's outstanding performance, and is a more than worthy nomination in this category. The Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman also very much deserved their nominations, and Birdman is a fine winner in this category.

Best Adapted Screenplay:

I have not yet seen The Imitation Game so I can not judge whether or not it deserved to win here. However Whiplash had a truly amazing screenplay and would have made a fine winner in my eyes. The Theory of Everything was too by the numbers in my opinion to truly deserve the nomination, and I must say that was deeply disappointed to not see the excellent screenplay for Gone Girl receive a nomination. It would have made a great winner, and yet it did not even receive acknowledgement. One of the bigger missteps of the year in my eyes.

By Jack D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment