Wednesday 22 April 2015

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4: The Next Generation (1994)

WOW....
I did not 
expect this film
to be such a 
complete failure.












Words fail me on this film. I usually begin my reviews with an overview of sorts, before going into the analysis, however in this case I will list every good aspect of this film. The poster is pretty cool, and it's climax is ridiculous and amusing. There, that is all I can say about this film on a positive note. It is that bad.

I am sure that all readers are familiar with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, one of the all time great horror films and a masterpiece of tension and intense atmosphere. his film bares almost no resemblance to that film, despite supposedly being a remake of it. It fails in literally every category that I could conceive and I am going to describe some of them to you now.

Firstly, the film seems to lack acting. There were credits at the end, however I did not really spot many performances within the film itself. It was instead filled with insipid 'teenagers' (aged around twenty-eight plus), mulling around and choking out some of the least convincing dialogue I have ever seen, with no emotion or realism to be found on any aspect of their being. Only Matthew McConaughey offers anything resembling a performance, and he totally embarrasses himself. It is safe to say that the man is a great actor overall, and has proved himself on multiple occasions, however here he is utterly ridiculous and difficult to watch. It's like watching a your friend choke on stage, you feel bad and disappointed for everyone involved. 

Beyond the lack of actual acting, the film's atmosphere is piss poor. The fact that the majority of the film is set at night baffles me, as the original was set in an oppressive and sun bleached environment. This may seem like a nitpick, however I feel that it shows a complete lack of understanding as to why the original worked. This is further emphasised by the inclusion of various familiar scenes from the original, again with none of the technique or imagery that made those scene so powerful. The utterly atrocious dinner scene in this film, meant to homage the similar scene from the original, is one of the most poorly executed scenes I have ever witnessed in all of cinema. I cannot emphasise how badly this film fails when compared to the original, it's a sad joke.

Overall, do not watch this film. I watched this on the urging of a friend, who was curious due to the presence of McConaughey, and it was one of the least enjoyable film experiences of my life. It isn't even funny, just stay away.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film Review

No comments:

Post a Comment