Tuesday 21 April 2015

Inside Number 9: Episode 10: Cold Comfort

Certainly the most 
unique episode
 of the season. 
A wonderfully experimental
 outing that
left me satisfied and highly
 impressed.

The second season of Inside Number 9 is certainly making efforts to remain unique and innovative. Despite the heavily flawed nature of some of the episodes, every one (barring the fairly derivative La Couchette) has been unique and has pushed the show in a bold new direction. Of all of them, Cold Comfort may be the most innovative of them all, utilising a unique visual style that I have legitimately not seen before in either TV or film. The episode takes place using a fixed camera set-up (in the style of a CCTV camera), which does not alter throughout the entire episode. This set-up highlights the cabin fever and confinement felt by those working in support centers. This is what I love about Inside Number 9, how it takes mundane and rarely portrayed aspects or situations of day-to-day life and brings out their latent tension and drama. I never thought that a call-center would be a location with a story to tell, however I have witnessed one now.

Aside from it's downright inspired concept, this episode is also notable for being the first episode of the show directed by Pemberton and Shearsmith, as well as being written by, and starring the duo. In the case of Number 9, I can only assume that increased creative control only benifits the show, as the intensity of some of the performances (particularly Pemberton's in this case) are outstanding. I would call this a highly successful directoral debut from the duo, and I am curious to see if they choose to direct any future episodes, or possibly even a larger project.

In terms of the episodes writing and storyline, they are both very strong here. I will admit that I find certain plot points a touch contrived, and so in that aspect the screenplay is far from perfect, however overall it allows for probably the best character interaction and dialogue of the entire season thus far. The episode this one reminds me of the most is The Understudy, which was also a tightly written and emotional character drama based around the behind the scene workings of a stressful industry. I feel it is safe to say that it is this type of episode that impresses me the most out of all of Inside Number 9.

Overall, i adore this episode. It is not my favourite episode of the series, or even the season so far, however I respect it immensely and can only see it as something of a creative breakthrough for the duo, due to their decision to take control behind the camera as well as in front.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film Review
Inside Number 9: Episode 10

No comments:

Post a Comment