Monday 4 January 2016

Photography Reflective Journal (2)

Edited Pictures

Now I will discuss the various post production edits I have made to some of my photographs for the purposes of the course.

The first images I edited were done so on the online application Pixlr. The site, although basic in many respects, allows for a wide range of alterations to be made, from cropping to colour adjustments and so on. I chose to edit some pictures that I felt has interesting elements within them but were not fully realised.

The below images were all altered in drastically different ways and show a range of simple techniques to enhance their effects.

For the picture on top, I cropped a significant portion of the right side of the image so as to have less negative space distracting the viewer. I also added a shadowy blur to the left side, forcing the eye to the cat in the middle of the image. A few simple techniques to guide the viewers eye towards the most interesting part of the frame.

For the picture in the middle, I sharpened the image as much as possible without making the effect distracting and then desaturated the colour, giving it a washed out look. Finally I intensified the shadows, cropped a small section from the right side and cleaned up some unwanted blemishes. This was done to enhance the images creepy mood and atmosphere above what was originally possible.

Finally, the bottom image had the opposite effects as the one in the middle. The colour was intensified dramatically and a blur effect was given to the edges of the frame. The gave the image a bleeding effect and evoked a dreamlike fantasy of sorts.

I feel that all three images are improvements on the originals (I have provided them alongside for comparison) and are great examples of my use of editing in post. I also edited some pictures using Adobe Photoshop Elements, however those images were given far smaller and subtler changes, these images are the best examples I have of a photo being dramatically transformed and altered in post.

















By Jack D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment