Thursday 24 December 2015

Photography Reflective journal (1)

As part of the Academic and Contemporary Skill for Film and Media module on my university film course, I have been asked to write a reflective journal on my photography to demonstrate my progress and my thought process relating to my photography. 
I decided I would like to give this journal in the form of blog posts so it can be publicly read.

Early Pictures

With my first few photos, I was interested in manipulating the aperture setting on my camera to distort and reduce the light in my images. I was interested in the moody and mysterious quality the gave otherwise mundane and unremarkable photographs.
One of the first photographs I took with my DSLR camera.
This is a common theme throughout my portfolio, with an abundance of underexposed and dimly lit images. 
Although I have learned since these early images to not abuse the aperture settings excessively, I still enjoy the effect of these dim images and have come to consider them something of a signature of mine.

Another early photograph
demonstrating the low lighting I favoured at that time.
Another characteristic throughout my earlier photos was an aversion to the 'auto' setting on my camera, particularly auto-flash. I have since incorporated more pictures using this setting, however early on basically every picture I took was taken in manual mode, due to me disliking the falseness of flash lighting and wanting to figure my new camera out for myself.



The last aspect of my early photos that I wish to comment on was my aversion to photographing people, preferring to shoot inanimate objects or scenery. This remains my preferred subject to this day, however I have taken steps to incorporating more portraits into my portfolio as per the requirements of the module assessments.

This concludes the first post in self-reflecting journal. More shall be released in the coming days.

By Jack D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment