Saturday 29 August 2015

The Truth about Bias.

I was tempted to write some kind of review about Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory today after rewatching it by chance. I decided against it though after talking to my sister afterwards. You see, that film was an incredibly major part of my childhood (probably the most important film in my life before the age of six), and so when we began discussing the film's flaws I felt highly conflicted.

As an amateur critic, I hold myself to some standards, and I would not wish to publish a useless review. Any review about that film would qualify, as I can not remove the significance the work had on my life from the work itself. I do not care about it's supposed flaws and cannot comment on them in any way, all my feelings about the film are dominated by warmth and nostalgia. And for those reasons, it will always be one of my favourite films.

This is an admittance from me that bias is an inevitable part of critique, and sometimes it is better to simply not cover something than to create a useless and entirely subjective review. If anyone reading this finds themselves struggling in the same way as myself remember this; thinking about films critically, does not mean you have to abandon  films that you love.

Thanks for reading.

By Jack D. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment